Our Mission: The Daughters of the Nile Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public corporation which maintains a permanent endowment fund to benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children®. All monetary donations promote, support, and maintain the philanthropic endeavors that enhance the medical care and treatment of the patients in the Shriners Hospitals for Children®.
Application Package for any Temple member who has an interest in applying to the Daughters of the Nile Foundation Board for a Director position.
The application period for applying for a three-year term position as a Director on the Daughters of the Nile Foundation is now open. For this 2018 application period, there are up to three Director positions available for election.
This year, in addition to securing qualified candidates for general Director positions, we are especially looking for a person to train for a year with our current Treasurer and then be elected to the position of Treasurer of the Foundation the following year. No Director position requires a person to be a CPA or a qualified financial or investment advisor, as the Board of Directors simply reviews and affirms the professional investment choices of the Wells Fargo Private Bank Investment Management Group. Annual distribution decisions are made by the Foundation Board in accordance with the Board-determined Spending Policy. No Director position is a paid position. Please also be aware that holding a position as a Director requires an annual personal donation to the Foundation of $500 per Director.
As a guideline for holding the Treasurer position, listed below are some of the qualifications needed to fill the position of Treasurer:
- Financial management and oversight knowledge (accuracy)
- Quickbooks accounting software (required)
- Understand and have ‘bookkeeping’ skills (receivables and payable)
- Vast computer knowledge – all Microsoft products and internet knowledge
- Knowledge of 501(c)(3) requirements and all IRS reports (990, 1099, etc.)
- Ability to work with CPA, attorneys, and bankers
- Read, interpret, and explain financial statements (including budgets)
- Read, interpret, and explain investment statements and models (including distribution)
- Basic insurance knowledge and work with insurance agent
- Communication skills/work well with others
- Organized, detail-oriented, and good time management
- Work closely with the Assistant Treasurer, My Gift Program, and President
- Knowledge in charitable solicitation registrations and rules
- Understand internal controls
- Knowledge of merchant services and the operations
- Wells Fargo bank location availability
- Attend all Board meeting (typically in July, October, and February/March)
- Attend Supreme Session (typically in June)
- Attend joint meetings between the Foundation and Supreme Temple Executive Committees (typically January and June)
- Understand and be available during the audit process (April/May/ June)
- Understand the corporate responsibilities and work with the Agent of Record for the Foundation
- Knowledge of Foundation and Supreme Temple Bylaws
If you are interested in being considered as a Director on the Foundation Board of Directors, please submit all information as requested within the Application Package no later than January 31, 2019.
All applications will be reviewed by the Applications Committee. All applicants will receive a telephone interview from a member of the Applications Committee. If you are elected to the Board, you will be notified in a timely manner so that preparations can be made for you to attend the July Foundation Board meeting.
Thank you for your interest in applying to serve on the Daughters of the Nile Foundation Board of Directors.
Foundation Board Applications Committee:
Muriel V. Knapp
Cover Page Director Application – 2019
Application Package – 2019